Thursday 18 December 2008

task two

The second task we were told to do is to embed one of the 6 clips we watched in the class and comment on it has influenced some of our ideas for our own thriller. I have chosen Arlington road the second, the clips which I analysed in task 1.
This clip really caught me with the different editing techniques they used with the transition, which they used instead of the conventional cuts. The fading and overlaying they used was very thrilling as it takes a while to figure out what you are actually are seeing. I hope we can integrate this with our thriller as it is brings out the suspense. I think also the unfocused camera also make this thriller more tensed and hope to use this in our thriller to create this. The extreme close ups and close ups have also influenced my ideas because the audience can get a more of the expression from the character and also it is a way which we can create suspense if we only show some parts of a character and hiding their identity. The music and sound used in this clip created a lot of the suspense and I feel our group can use the music to create the same feeling. The sounds of a young boy hearing voices in his mind is very chilling as it is not said very loud but said in whisper. The music which is quite simple but still chilling with a drone playing and a subtle “ping ping” noise maybe from a xylophone is played and when the boys head moves around the sound moves with a very loud screech, also when they show the crack in the street a breaking noise is played. I hope to use these effects as they have done in this clip, as I think they create a lot of thrilling moments. Using these techniques in our thriller would be quite good as they create different spine chilling emotions.

No comments: